The festive season is just about upon us, and if you are going to be a way over the Christmas period you need to consider how to keep your home secure over the Christmas holidays.
Christmas holidays is the time for family and friends, but it is also the time when there is an increase in home break in and property theft.
Here are our top 10 tips to keep your home safe while you are away on holiday.
- If possible arrange a house sitter to stay in home whilst you are away on holidays.
- If point number 1 is not possible, chat to your neighbours and see if they are going to be around. If so, then ask them if they wouldn’t mind collecting your mail. An over flowing letter box is a sure sign the house is empty.
- Make sure your wheelie bins are put out on collection day and are put back in your yard. Don’t leave them sitting kerb side.
- Don’t advertise your Christmas holiday plans all over social media, only share this information with close family and friends.
- Secure your property; make sure all windows, sliding doors, screen doors, front and back door are locked. Also make sure any out dwellings are also secured. Don’t leave any spare keys out.
- Prior to your holiday departure tidy up your garden and lawn, this gives the impression someone is around.
- Let your insurance company know you will be away and make sure your property has adequate insurance cover.
- Leave a few lights on inside, and consider leaving a radio playing. Also make sure your sensor lights are switched on.
- Don’t leave washing on the line prior to leaving.
- If your property is monitored with a security alarm, make sure it is switched on and you let your security company know that you will be away.
As a safety precaution make sure any switches inside are turned off, and unplug plugs from the wall.
It’s the little things we can do, which can ensure we come home it protected.