Sunshine Coast Council Rates

Share this post:

Sunshine Coast Council Rates.

It’s that time of year again when the Sunshine Coast Council is issuing rates notices, and in order to get the discount payment on your rates payment must be made by the 17 February 2017.

So what happens when you have sold or purchased a property prior to the rates being issued? At settlement your bank will be responsible for lodging the transfer and form 24 document at the Department of Natural Resources and Mines, unless you are a cash buyer, it is then the responsibility of your Conveyancing Solicitor. Once registration has been completed DNRM notifies council of the new registered owners and this must be completed within 30 days of settlement.

If settlement has been completed at the beginning of the New Year, and the Sunshine Coast Council has not been advised of the change of ownership then more than likely the rates notice will be issued to the old owner. You would hope that they pass this on their Solicitor so it can be forwarded to the buyer to take advantage of the discount. If payment is late than you may incur a late payment fee or worse – be charged interest on the outstanding balance.

Contact your bank to confirm registration of the documentation has been completed at DNRM or check with DNRM directly. You can also advise the council yourself of a change of address.

The Sunshine Coast Council do offer payment arrangements if you are having difficulty in paying your rates on the due date, you can find out more at or contact the council directly to discuss. If you are a pensioner you may be entitled to a rebate, again contact the Sunshine Coast Council. The valuation to determine the amount of rates that you pay is also provided to the Sunshine Coast Council by DNRM.

For more information about payment of your rates please contact Brigitte Thieltges, our Senior Conveyancing Manager at

Are you ready to purchase or sell your property? Get a Free Conveyancing Quote from us:

Get a Free Quote

Share this post:

Posted in


The content published in this Blog is in the form of academic papers and the opinions expressed herein are generalised. The information provided is for educational purposes, not specific legal advice.

The application of any principles referred to can alter from case to case and accordingly you should seek independent legal advice in respect of your individual circumstances.


Subscribe To Newsletter